Hot on the heels of the success of Instagram Stories comes IGTV. A full screen, long-form vertical video experience, built for how you actually use your phone.
IGTV is available as a stand alone app, another app I hear you cry, but it’s also available within the standard Instagram app. This is a clever move by Instagram as they can instantly access their 1 billion monthly active users, giving IGTV a head start.
Previously Instagram allowed you to upload videos up to 1 minute long. IGTV has increased that to a whopping 10 minutes, with larger and verified accounts allowed to upload 60 minute long videos.
Engaging The Younger Audience
Instagram has a track record of copying features from other social media platforms, such as Snapchat’s Stories. But it’s made it work and surpassed the competition. With Facebook’s main service being seen by teens and 20-somethings as a better place for their parents, it’s a smart move to capture the younger Instagram audience.
The younger audience get their quick social media fixes from Snapchat or YouTube if they have time and want to watch something more substantial. They tend to favour low budget, intimate videos made in a bedroom or in the real world compared to high budget videos from traditional broadcasters. IGTV can bridge this gap and position itself as the place to go for quick fixes and to spend more time watching in depth video.
IGTV has launched without the ability to display adverts, but monetisation will probably arrive in the near future. Video adverts typically command a higher fee than other types of online adverts, so it would be a mistake to leave money on the table.
Creators can still make money through the new long-form videos via product placement and sponsorship. Videos include a space for a description which allows links to external websites, so creators can easily link to other sponsored posts or videos.
How to Create an IGTV Channel
Before you can post videos to IGTV, you need to create a channel where people can watch the videos you’ve uploaded.
Instagram app or IGTV app
- Tap on the IGTV icon in the top right hand corner of the app, or open the new IGTV app.
- Tap on the cog icon > Create Channel and follow the steps.
- Go to Instagram.com and log in.
- Go to your profile and click on IGTV.
- Select Create Channel and follow the steps.
Once your channel is created you’re ready to start uploading videos.
- Video length – between 15 seconds to 10 minutes long. Verified accounts can upload 60 minute long videos from a computer.
- Video file type – MP4
- Aspect ratio – Vertical videos only, with a minimum aspect ratio of 4:5 and maximum of 9:16
- Video size – Maximum file size for 10 minute videos or less is 650MB. For videos up to 60 minutes, 5.4GB.
What Are Your Thoughts?
Let us know what you think about the new IGTV feature and how you think it will fit into your social media strategy?